You are visiting as a guest
| Sign In
Glossary of Terms for GeyserTimes.org
- entrant - individual that enter the eruption into the database
- observer - individual that observed the eruption (if different from the entrant)
- OFVCL-EV - Old Faithful Visitor Center Log - Electronic Version
- RTED - Ralph Taylor Electronic Data
Grand Geyser Codes:
- E - abbrevation for "electronic." Eruption was determined by an electronic data logger. Electronic times are initially reported by NPS rangers or volunteers.
- ie - abbrevation for "in eruption." Eruption was observed, but not at the start.
- ns - abbreviation for "near start." Eruption was observed within a minute of the actual start time.
- ini - initial eruption for a geyser known to erupt in series
- maj - major eruption
- min - minor eruption
- wc - webcam
- (?) - a questionable eruption. Observer thinks that an eruption occurred, but isn't 100% sure.
Great Fountain Terms:
- D#/ - When there is an is an interval between Turban eruptions greater than 25min there is a Turban Delay with the letter "D" and the number of Turban eruptions before Grand starts (such as D3/T2Q)
- V#/ - When it is time for Turban or Turban starts, and Vent overflows but Grand does not erupt, there is a Vent Delay with the letter "V" and the number of Turban eruptions before Grand starts (such as V3/T2Q)
- G - Grand initiated the eruption
- T - Turban started before Grand
- * - long 2nd burst (d>1m15s)
- # - long 3rd burst (d>1m15s)
- C - Vent & Turban continue after end of Grand
- Q - Vent & Turban quit after end of Grand
- p=# or Pause=# - Pause for Great Fountain's is the length of time in minutes between the 1 meter boil (which is the official start time of the eruption) and the time of the first burst that throws water out of the crater